11.16.2010

How fast they grow...



Every day I find more similarities between my two newest roles, as mother and gardener. Our older tomato plant has tiny green tomatoes popping out of seemingly nowhere. Is that what it's like to watch your daughter go through puberty? Ugh I dread the thought.

Anyway, it astounds me that every morning when I look at the plants they all look different. (Except those damn Anaheim peppers. Still just a pot of dirt.) Yesterday I swear there were just 2 little tomatoes and now there are 3. And now the cucumber plant has three sprouts, each with 2 large leaves. And between the leaves something furry is starting to develop. I don't know what that will turn into, but I trust the Big Guy that this process is completely normal.

It's the same with my Aleko. He is different every single day. Today he seemed to become more aware of the power of his hands, lifting things into the air, dropping them in front of himself, and doing it again. Fascinated, and fascinating.

What would I do without this kid? Well, what would we do without food?

1 comment:

  1. Children are like gardens and with the right nourishment, attention and care they will grow into amazing human beings but without all the effort..well, you get an invasion of weeds and your garden never reaches its potential. Its one of those situations where you def get out of it what you out into it:) Happy Mothering!

    ReplyDelete