11.06.2010

Moving on to bigger, better things

I do love to play in the dirt, but I realized today that my "connectedness" has its limits. For example, when the ground is teeming with cockroaches and worms and spiders, I will gladly outfit my hands with some gardening gloves (pink, as a matter of fact). I love the Earth and all, but creepy crawlers? Eh, not so much.

Today we tore up another plot of land to expand the limits of our garden. Again, we haven't measured anything but conveniently the planks of wood that my father-in-law bought to construct the border for this garden are the perfect length when two are placed one after another. That construction lies ahead, probably to be done on Thursday when my husband has the day off. So let me tell you about what we had to do to prepare this plot.

Using a shovel, we dug up the layer of grass on the plot. As Andrew dug up the grass, Sasha and I shook as much dirt off of the grass chunks as possible and compiled the grass; leaving the dirt on the plot. Florida grass is really intense and aggressive. As we were shoveling it out we kept finding that it grows on vines in the ground. If we didn't completely sever the ties it had to the ground we could pull up on the "grass vine" for several feet before it allowed us to detach it from the ground. Because of this the whole ordeal was more physically demanding than we had imagined but it went pretty quickly with the three of us.

In preparation for this new garden I have started growing some plants from seed! I can't tell you how excited I am to watch these babies sprout and turn into plants with actual edible fruits and vegetables. Once they make some progress I will transplant them into the garden and start some new plants from seed. For some reason I am worried that it won't work. What if the seeds don't have everything they need? How long will it take? Again, though, plants have been growing for ages, even before we humans learned how to garden. So I'm sure they will be fine. I will keep you posted on their progress!

1 comment: